All the news the New York Times "forgot" - to print

Thursday, September 22, 2005

To eat, or to not to eat: That is the menu…

It was a normal beautiful morning in Laid Back New England as I ostentatiously walked into the dining room searching for victuals and drink. To my surprise, I found that the girls tutor, Ms Woods, was in the kitchen cooking an egg for my non-studious two year old sister (just so you can get an idea of this sister of mine, her favorite activity is to sneak up behind one of her siblings and pinch their ears…). What I heard next is burned into my memory forever.


“Here’s your eggy” said Ms Woods as she plopped it on her plate. My sister poked it with her fork to make sure it was thoroughly dead. And after doing so grunted approval and began to munch, chew, and digest ravenously.


Being so shocked at the episode, it took me a minute to regain my composure. And after doing so I inquired as to why my sister was eating a baby chicken. One that had not even had a chance at life, one that would never fly, fight, or do the things that chickens do. The answer was mostly in hushed tones, I suppose it was that way to hide the fact from my dubious sister that she was eating a murdered chicken. Deciding that all this issue should be brought up to her attention I matter of factly asked her “So __, how’s your dead chicky taste?

“Mmmmmm, berrrry gooood,” was her horrifying answer…

I thought my family was pro-life, but now I know...

4 Comments:

Blogger pennyjean said...

Great story! I laughed my head off!

Thursday, 22 September, 2005  
Blogger Booker said...

Good for your sister! It is always best to teach them young that animals are food, not cutesy wutesy little piles of playableness. Eat your breakfast\lunch\dinner, don't play with it! :)

Friday, 23 September, 2005  
Blogger Silas said...

Just so you know. I am really not an animal rights activist, although the story is true. I did act shocked when I saw that my sister was eating an egg. Mostly because I Don't Like Eggs!!(!) So instead of going into a rage and throwing stuff around the room because someone was eating something I detest. I simply played the part of a animal rights activist (of course the whole time I was thinking "blog,blog, say something for the blog. get her to say something for the blog, blog,blog, don't forget about the blog."):)

I did make up a litte song for this event which I posted on our familys white bourd. It goes to the tune of Jesus Loves the Little Children.

"We must save the little chickys,

All the chickys of the world,

Red and yellow, black and white, they are food in Ms Woods sight,

We must save all the little chickys of the worldddddddddd.

Saturday, 24 September, 2005  
Blogger Booker said...

You are good blogger indeed! thinking of your blog, trying to prime lines for it. On that I heartily commend you.

and the song was funny too. I just sang it to myself :)

Saturday, 24 September, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home