All the news the New York Times "forgot" - to print

Thursday, March 09, 2006

Debate update

A fair and unbias look at the 2006 S.N.O.W Debate Tournament from fair and unbias debater...


First - our record. We finished the initial rounds with a 4 & 2 record. Which was just good enough to make the playoffs. We should have been 5 & 1 though... how do I say this nice... the judges only have thirty minutes of instruction... and that’s really not long enough...


Anyways, as I was saying, we made the playoffs (8 out of 25 teams with the best records advance) and immediately faced the number one seed (top ranked team) in our first debate. We won. Now we would face (the next afternoon) one of the three teams still surviving… A showdown waited…

Next morning: 9: 35 AM. We arrive at the debate site. It’s about 38 degrees and partly sunny – however – the cool New Hampshire winter air reek’s the smells of death and disputation. I don’t know if that’s a good omen… but then again, you never know I guess…

Bad sign #1. Debate partner faints. One minute he’s leaning up against a cabinet watching a speech duo – and the next (insert “THUD!!”) he’s laying on his back with his feet up in the air. Quite literately I immediately see our chances of winning decrease by a substantial margin. “Aidan! " I whispered (must I add quietly?). "What happened?"

Aidan who was still lying on the floor with his feet still protruding up into the atmosphere like the late twin towers – looks at me and says – “what, what?”

“WHAT!?” I feel like shouting but I refrain… “What? This is no “what” this is the final four! The ceawmose! The fight for the last bag of jellybeans!”

He looks back blankly

Bad sign #2. I get stuck timing for impromptu. Ok… this is bad. I walk into a room to watch one speech – and I stay for the next hour… And just so you’ll know and understand. Impromptu speech’s are among the mind-numbing, ear-wrenching, gut- well… you get the point.

Heap Big Bad sign #3. Intelligence is indicating that the team we’re scheduled to debate is doing the same plan as us – with a twist… What’s the twist? (you may ask…) Well… That’s the question! What!?!

Bad sign #4. It’s time to debate - and Aidan can’t talk because he's feeling deathly sick. This problem though is minor compared to the fact though that the color of the carpet is a revolting baby blue!

We lost. It was a close match but they (the opposing Negative team) managed to stay on the offensive throughout most of the round while we spent too much time having to rebut their points. The team that beat us went on to win first place overall, so it’s not like this is a lost debate to commit harri karia over. And in the end – it didn’t really too (too) much. We finished number 4 (technically #3) And there’s no big advantage to winning #1 –(we already qualified for semi finals by finishing in the final 8 ) except everyone gets to hear your plan – and then goes home and get's evidence against it… Of which crime, I must plead guilty.

Next time….

{A Debate Guru Meditating on his 1AC}

Labels:

19 Comments:

Blogger Narniagirl said...

Did you actually manage to post something about you LOSING without blowing up at the winner???

Friday, 10 March, 2006  
Blogger Silas said...

Narniagirl: The winners where very nice people. If I was going to lose to anybody it would be them. And sence when did I "blow up" the winners anyways?

N.C: Thanks for the advice... the guru in the picture meditating is JZ.

Friday, 10 March, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tash you change the story like CBS news! I didn’t faint because I was nervous, like your story seems to be pointing to. I fainted because I had a cold and was extremely hot from the room and drinking two cups of tea, so I would be able to talk (I had just token off my coat, before I fainted).

Friday, 10 March, 2006  
Blogger Narniagirl said...

So I guess they weren't girls huh? You only get mad when you lose to girls.

O.k. you didn't blow up at me, but you did let me know that you didn't think I was a worthy canadate.. in your own silent way. (i.e. using large letter to thus yell.)

Friday, 10 March, 2006  
Blogger QueenOfLillyFlowers said...

sounds VERY enlightening......

Friday, 10 March, 2006  
Blogger Silas said...

So you just think you know everything huh?? (YOU THINK YOU KNOW EVERYTHING!!) Well... you don't. (YOU DON'T!) And of course I did not, and still don't think you were the best candidate - that was me.

Friday, 10 March, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Haaaaaaaa.... da bate huuu... I don't take no da bate from nuo one...

hey. check out my site!

Friday, 10 March, 2006  
Blogger Booker said...

Nice pix of a meditating *insert whatever you feel like here*. I was impressed. Shoulders should have been a little straighter tho.

but, what is 1AC? I've heard the term, H-A1C, but never that. Is it some deep and mysterious, religious term used by meditating debaters? Enlighten this poor young grasshopper...

Saturday, 11 March, 2006  
Blogger Silas said...

You don't know what a 1AC is!?! (I find this unbelieveable!)

1AC stands for 1(first)A(Affirmative)C (Constructive). Its the first speach of a policy debate round.

Saturday, 11 March, 2006  
Blogger Aidan said...

Hey! I just started a blog!

Sunday, 12 March, 2006  
Blogger Booker said...

Tash-thanks for the info. I shall forget it as soon as possible. And way to go with nabbing 2 new bloggers...

Monday, 13 March, 2006  
Blogger Aidan said...

Update please!!!!

Wednesday, 15 March, 2006  
Blogger Aidan said...

I think King Arthur is Ryu Soma!

Wednesday, 15 March, 2006  
Blogger 1smalldino said...

are you dead????UPDATE PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!

Wednesday, 15 March, 2006  
Blogger Booker said...

Philo-nope, not me. get a statcounter, then you'll see he's from RI, I'm from NH...

Wednesday, 15 March, 2006  
Blogger Silas said...

I'm I dead? How can I know?

Wednesday, 15 March, 2006  
Blogger Narniagirl said...

When were you ever alive?

Wednesday, 15 March, 2006  
Blogger Silas said...

Was I?

Wednesday, 15 March, 2006  
Blogger 1smalldino said...

NEVER!!!!

Thursday, 16 March, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home