All the news the New York Times "forgot" - to print

Monday, March 06, 2006

The POWER of the Comma

Once there was a woman who while touring Europe one day cabled her husband back in the states a small request - "I have found a wonderful bracelet. Price (merely) seventy thousand dollars. May I buy it?”?(???....???...????...?!?)

Well... surprise, surprise... shortly later her husband cabled back, "No, price too high." However as fate would have it - the cable operator in transmitting the message - missed the signal for the comma. The woman received the message which said "No price too high."....

The woman bought the bracelet - and her husband sued the cable company.

This Sunday in the local paper someone wrote this wise note which relates to this story.

1. "Don't print anything stupid." 2. "Don't print anything, stupid."

(by the way - the top picture is an example of foot in mouth syndrome

Labels:

11 Comments:

Blogger Silas said...

Ok, what?

You sir abuse the comma! RepenT!!

Monday, 06 March, 2006  
Blogger 1smalldino said...

what's wrong with the comment page?

Tuesday, 07 March, 2006  
Blogger Booker said...

hmm, another soapbox rant about a miniscule problem while huge problems ruin our world.

I mean, I had to get up and make my own coffee this morning. and my tummy was feeling sick too. So, why aren't you writing about the importance of us getting robot bodies? if we had robot bodies, world hunger would be solved, no sick days, productivity would go WAY up, hospitals would be a thing of the past, no plagues to kill bajillions of people. and I could go on and on.

so I ask you, which is more important? the comma, or robot bodies? I leave it to your conscience...

Tuesday, 07 March, 2006  
Blogger Narniagirl said...

Oh, you poor thing, you had to make your own coffee!! Now, see, I think a comma is more important than your stomach!!

Tuesday, 07 March, 2006  
Blogger Silas said...

Just so you all know - I Hate coffee. I would rather dump mud in a cup and fill it with water and drink that instead. Coffee is an abomination! And outrage! A disgrace! An eyesore! Repent!

Wednesday, 08 March, 2006  
Blogger Narniagirl said...

I agree Tash!!

Wednesday, 08 March, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like mud in a cup!

Thursday, 09 March, 2006  
Blogger Aidan said...

Thought so.

Thursday, 09 March, 2006  
Blogger Booker said...

Coffee is righteous!!

Thursday, 09 March, 2006  
Blogger Booker said...

!!!!Ka-Sizzle!!!!

I agree!

!!!!kA-sIZZLE!!!!

Thursday, 09 March, 2006  
Blogger Silas said...

Closing the polls...

Who is right in their portrayal of Narnia?

Tash (67) 60%
C. S. Lewis (42) 38%
Neither (3) 3%

Total Votes: 112

Thursday, 09 March, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home