All the news the New York Times "forgot" - to print

Monday, December 19, 2005

Ebenezer Scrooge: A Christmas Carol - A Serious review….

Awwww… the wonder of it all! It’s Saturday. And here I am, sitting in a packed, gas guzzling SUV (my sister and I were carpooling with some friends) stuck in a minor traffic jam, slowly heading toward the great force of evil on earth - Boston. As always, I am going with my sister to a great cultural event. In this case, as last time, it is a play. This time however, instead of the sentimental hogwash Oklahoma!”, I am going to see the more traditional stage - play, Charles Dickens “A Christmas Carol,” which was to be performed by New Life Fine Arts Musical Theater. Baa Humbug!

We arrive about thirty minutes before the play is to begin. And after a few minutes of wrestling and biting our way to the ticket counter and getting our tickets, I feel quite confident that we are ready to watch the play. I mean, is not this what Christmas is all about? Running and trampling over people to get what YOU Want?

Now for the confession: For some strange, odd, bizarre, and outlandish reason which makes zip sense, the Patriots are playing today (Saturday). To explain why it’s weird for them to play on Saturday – on the same exact day as the performance, at the same exact time as the game, is hardly impossible! They play sixteen games a year and only one of them on a Saturday! WHY THIS SATURDAY!!??(?) It is enough to boggle the coconut.

Well… I must say that I did not go unprepared. In my front coat pouch, I was secretly smuggling a set of headphones and a little palm size radio… The price if caught with such articles in this theater was quite lenient: Death. Nevertheless, what is life without the thrill of a life and death risk? You know, sort of like climbing Mount Everest (or any other mountain with a 50/50 chance of survival…). There was always that risk of being caught. Nevertheless, I figured that if for some strange reason I was caught, I supposed that it would make a great story to write on my blog… Baa Humbug.

The sound system is t-e-rr-i-b-le… (Ok.... that my be a little too harsh...) One of the lead actors, Mr. Cratchit’s microphone is not working. Moreover, the music from the (bottomless) music pit is sometimes overwhelming the otherwise great singing and whatnot. Baa Humbug! The actors with a few exceptions fill their roles wonderfully. Scrooge looks like Scrooge. Cratchit looks like Cratchit, etc. But, those sound people! Are there no prisons or workhouses for them?... Baa HumBug!...

Labels:

10 Comments:

Blogger Narniagirl said...

Bravo!!

A very good post. I think you captured the essence of that afternoon. That sound system was terrible!! Didn't you guys sit right near the sound board??? You should have gone up to the sound person and asked what was going on!!
Oh, and Bob Cratchit have a really fake beard, it was so distracting!! But otherwise a really good play!

But you failed to mention (in the post) the political debate/talk about next year's teenpact campaigns. Where (for those who support tash) Tash reveiled two very important secrets of his campaign, to last years enemy.

Baa HumBug!!!

Monday, 19 December, 2005  
Blogger Booker said...

My goodness. Risking death for a thrill. I have to wonder just how well your parents actually raised you.

I shall pray for your immortal soul...

Monday, 19 December, 2005  
Blogger Booker said...

Oh come on now! both Philo and Ngirl either don't have blogs or have hidden them.

I ask you, how am I supposed to spread my blogging reign and spread mockery abroad, if people keep doing this? I mean, Queen Lilly is bad enough, but now, 2 more? It is enough to make a would be tyrant tear out his hair!

Monday, 19 December, 2005  
Blogger Narniagirl said...

so sorry....

Monday, 19 December, 2005  
Blogger QueenOfLillyFlowers said...

YEAH!!!! YEPE!!! HOORAY!!!! ! I’M BAD ENOUGH! That was the fair reward for your brainwashing, ryu, to see those words ( sort of)!

Monday, 19 December, 2005  
Blogger Silas said...

TOO LAZY!!! BeWAre!!! For in a day that you think not you will surly BloG!!

Wednesday, 21 December, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

u crack me up tash!! i like to (this sounds rude) make fun of some of the plays. it's fun. to whisper back and forth about who looks fake or did he say what!? and then have people staring at u with that evil eye!!
i would like a blog but i have these two things called parental units......
and since everyone else is saying it...BAAA! HUMMBUG!

Wednesday, 21 December, 2005  
Blogger Booker said...

Narniachick-WHAT A SURPRISE!! I have 2!!!!!! parents too!!!! What a coincidence. And yet I still manage to blog. Don't get discouraged, you can do it, lol...

Wednesday, 21 December, 2005  
Blogger Narniagirl said...

HAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!

Wednesday, 21 December, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tash, I don't understand what all the fuss is about. The sound system was not that bad! I can only recall one instance in the finale where I felt it overpowered the singers - that is pretty good for this type of production. Also, Cratchit's microphone stuttered only for about three or four seconds! You are over exaggerating your cruel remarks. Repent! Now!

Wednesday, 21 December, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home