All the news the New York Times "forgot" - to print

Thursday, December 08, 2005

Hunting: Day Two

After yesterday’s hunting debacle, I was purposed to accomplish my goal that I carry a deer home in triumph. Indeed, just before the below story (H:1) hit this site I went and scouted out some new hunting areas for the next morning (today). I was spurred by the shame – and humiliation – of returning home void. Failure I felt, would be an everlasting blemish to my reputable status throughout the world as a wise, shrewd, and grizzled woodsman. Anything short of victory for me could be devastating.

This morning I woke at five and got ready for the hunt. I was wearing three coats, two pairs of pants, and two pairs of socks when I stepped out the door into the warm breeze of 2 degree air. After about a half mile walk to the hunting spot, I set up my lawn chair and waited for the stubborn beasts to come. Wait, wait, wait, wait…(same process of freezing to death as yesterday begins from the moment I sit down… gradually gets worse…)

Strangely, none did come. I thought I heard noises that could be deer related, such as antlers clashing, stomping, and weird grunts, but I never got an actual glimpse of one.

I could not get it. How could it be that no deer would show up despite the fact that countless tracks and even a StarBucks, (a spring that they frequent) were on the scene of my ambush?

I don’t know the answer, but I do know that there’s always tomorrow. And I also know they’ve got to be out there somewhere...

The search continues…

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Chuck Wade said...

I've never been hunting, but I've always wanted to. Oh, well maybe one day.

Thursday, 08 December, 2005  
Blogger Booker said...

i think, Tash, it is because of the deodorant ur wearing. See son, these deer are smart critters. God gave them extra good senses to make up for their lack of brains. So they can smell old spice a mile away. I recommend rolling in dirt and ashes before getting dressed, and after too. Or just spray on some skunk scent. that'll cover up the "human" :)

Good luck.

Friday, 09 December, 2005  
Blogger Silas said...

You can try it first...

Friday, 09 December, 2005  
Blogger Booker said...

Nah, I'll leave the "big hunter" thingy to you. I spend enough time in the outdoors at work.

Friday, 09 December, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home