All the news the New York Times "forgot" - to print

Thursday, May 12, 2005

Simply Profound

Noon today the always interesting talk around the table at lunch turned to the subject of gambling. Someone mentioned how fast people who win the lottery spend their money, and
quickly fall into debt. Thus being forced live in sewers the rest of their lives. As the multitudes ruminated on this I (Silas) gave an example of a man who years ago won somewhere around 22 million dollars. This frugal man spent it in less then a year and now lives in poverty. Penny was profoundly shocked by this story, and stood like a statue holding a butter knife in one hand and bread in the opposite. Her face of stone finally broke and she said whinny. “Think about all the damage I could do with a million dollars! I could buy a house, a car, and a kid.’’ Ok… Thanks Penny for your financial advice, and estimate of the worth of a million deer hides, but I think slavery is illegal in Rhode Island

Peter later in the day also had a profound thought. It was as I here quote him as saying. “You can’t swear around the goat pen, because there are kids around.’’

3 Comments:

Blogger Brendan said...

I think I heard that story. The guy tried to do good with his money, but it only brought ruin. His niece spent it all on drugs, his daughter (I think...) spent it on a new house in a new neighborhood, which soon hated her. That's why I'm fine with not having a lot of money; I'd probably end up doing something stupid with it or screwing up somehow.

(No, I'm not familiar with BJ Homesat government. What is it?)

Thursday, 12 May, 2005  
Blogger Silas said...

BJ homesat is a video program for homeschoolers. The reason why I asked was because the teacher in the video is addicted to power point.

Friday, 13 May, 2005  
Blogger pennyjean said...

After Peter made his statement about not swearing around the goat pen, Aidan said, "You can't write that! People will think we swear!"

Friday, 13 May, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home