All the news the New York Times "forgot" - to print

Wednesday, August 17, 2005

My life and death as an Tragelaphus strepsiceros


The Last Letter

The letter below was found in a field in southern Africa. I, and other very scientific minded friends, believe it was written by a Tragelaphus strepsiceros, otherwise known as a Kudu. The Native name for this animal is Tandala Mkubwa. They live in dense bush or forest, and have a lifespan of 7 to 8 years in the wild and up to 23 years in captivity. They do not eat meat and are herbivorous. Their predators are leopards, hunting dogs, spotted hyenas and humans.

The letter was written as follows: “Four moons ago I, and my Tragelaphus strepsiceros friends were grassing on the green fields of South Africa. Now me, being so tried and hungry (I had just gotten back from Uncle Bob’s) filled up all my 565 pounds with fresh grass. After eating, I laid down on the ground for a nap.

Suddenly a sharp bark came to my ears, and before I know it, I was alone. Was it true? Had all my Tragelaphus strepsiceros friends left me alone? Yes, and in the mist of one of are most hated predators, the Mbwa Mwitu (native African name for wild dogs). Now it was up to me, life or death. The hated foe was not more then five feet away! Having only one predator, the humans, the population of Mbwa Muwitu’s is great. Now I had to fight the best way I could, with my 72 inch horn!

The Mbwa Mwitu started to grab my leg as he said in a determined voice, “Your Dead meat!”

It was time to use the horns. “Not just yet,” I growled as I turned in the way of my opponent, “Onward to freedom!” I yelled as I stabbed my horns into the animal’s side.

“Yaaaaaaaaaaaaalp” the Mbwa Muwitu was mad. “You’ll pay for that!”

The next few minutes where confusing. I can not remember what happed next so I have not recoded it. But alas when I came back to my senses, I was in the belly of a 30ince, 70 pound Carnivorous, to which I was diner.

Oh, are generation of peaceful animals, has It came to an end? Let us look at the example of our friend the rhino. The rhino was persecuted, as are generation, but by a large and more armed foe, the heath nut. It was said by the human heath nut that the rhino’s horn may contain health benefits of some kind. The rhino’s were hunted and killed in the thousands. Yet, as I hope for our generation as well, their population increased after the AWF (African Wildlife Foundation) stepped in and helped.

But now we must stand strong because are enemies are great. We must not wither away as plant without water. We must make this a better place for the next and later generations. For I have a dream, where the Trangelaphus strepsiceros and the Mbwa Meitu have peace with each other, just as the rhino and the human.

But for now I shall say so-long and goodbye- for this is my last living testament.”

This letter spooked the interest in me and my scientific friends, now we know the truth. I researched into what was being done to help the kudu population grow. It is time for us to act. It is sad but true, the kudu is an animal at the bottom of the food chain. In the past year the AWF has stepped in and helped. The AWF is now training scouts to monitor African wild dogs. But the door is also open for you to help the kudu population grow, and as the letter stated to “make this a better place for the next and later generations”, so that no other kudu has to write such a last letter.

4 Comments:

Blogger Silas said...

Thanks to one of my sib's for this story.

Wednesday, 17 August, 2005  
Blogger Booker said...

Ha. We are better off without them.

And I bet they turn into great steaks when grilled properly too!

lol :)

Thursday, 18 August, 2005  
Blogger Silas said...

Their very tasty.

Thursday, 18 August, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Think of the poor animals! According to a poll by the ACBCWLRD, millions of poor pigs are killed each year!! And WHY because we crave BACON!!!!!!! What did the pigs ever do wrong???????????????????????????

Friday, 19 August, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home